Starting a new company is an exciting time for the owner or owners. It can also be overwhelming and stressful. New business owners have the responsibility to carry out many different tasks to get their ventures off the ground. One of the most important duties for owners involves marketing and promoting the business, essential activities for its success.
The purpose of promotion is to convey to others the value of the company’s products or services. Owners must continually find ways to market themselves effectively and keep customers coming in. So how can business owners begin spreading the word? What essential items do they need to get underway?
Here are five key marketing items that every owner needs in order to start promoting their business:
- Business Logo – Once the owner has decided upon a name, the next step is to decide on the company’s branding and develop a logo. The brand is something that communicates the company’s values and creates trust with consumers. The logo should reflect the company’s branding and follow suitable design principles. Most business owners need the help of a graphic designer or graphic design team in order to obtain a professional logo that may include a relevant tagline or slogan.
- Business Cards – Many new owners begin marketing themselves by simply handing out business cards. The company’s name, logo, address, phone number, and website are standard items to include on a business card. Using businesses cards for promotion has many advantages. Business cards are portable and can be easily stored in wallets, purses, and briefcases ready to be given away when the opportunity presents itself. They are also ideal for new business owners on limited marketing budgets as they are inexpensive to make.
- Signage – Business owners who locate their companies in physical spaces need professional signs to announce their presence. New business owners often start with at least two signs, one installed on the company building and another sign near the road to draw in passersby. There are a wide variety of signs for business owners to choose from including monument signs, electronic signs, banners, and channel letters. It is important to remember that signage should reflect the look of the company’s other marketing materials.
- Flyers and Brochures – Flyers and brochures go beyond the basic business card to give readers more information about the company. Well-designed flyers and brochures are able to be scanned quickly so that consumers get an idea of what the company is all about. They are usually developed with a targeted audience in mind, and the content, layout, and graphics should support the overall message. Whereas flyers are generally one-sided and promote a special event or offer, brochures are printed on both sides and contain folds for multiple pages.
- Promotional Items – Pens, t-shirts, mugs, and other promotional items that feature logos and contact information can help business owners create brand recognition for their companies. Promotional items tend to stick around longer than other marketing materials, especially if the object is something that the recipient will use over and over. Promotional items are easy to make and can be given away in a variety of settings like networking events and tradeshows.
The sign experts at Infinity Signs are passionate about helping new business owners promote and market their companies effectively. Contact us for more information about the services we offer including graphic design, signage, and a variety of print marketing materials.